Nicotine+ is a graphical client for the Soulseek peer-to-peer network.
Nicotine+ aims to be a pleasant, free and open source (FOSS) alternative to the official Soulseek client, providing additional functionality while keeping current with the Soulseek protocol.
Nicotine+ uses GTK for its graphical user interface, and is written in Python.
Check out the screenshots and source code.
The current stable version of Nicotine+ is 3.2.2, released on March 19, 2022. See the release notes.
Downloads are available for:
If you feel like contributing to Nicotine+, there are several ways to help:
- Report a problem or suggest improvements by
- Install the latest unstable build and test Nicotine+, see TESTING.md.
- Translate Nicotine+ into another language with Hosted Weblate, see TRANSLATIONS.md.
- Package Nicotine+ for a distribution or operating system, see PACKAGING.md.
- Implement bug fixes and features, see DEVELOPING.md.
Where did the name Nicotine come from?
I was in a geeky mood and was browsing http://www.bash.org’s QDB.
I stumbled across this quote:
<etc> so tempting to release a product called ‘nicotine’ and wait for the patches.
<etc> then i would have a reason to only apply one patch a day. otherwise, i’m going against medical advise.
So I thought what the hell and bluntly stole etc’s idea.
Hyriand, former Nicotine maintainer, 2003
Legal and Privacy
- When connecting to the default Soulseek server, you agree to abide by the Soulseek rules and terms of service.
- Nicotine+ does not collect any user data. Different policies may apply to the default Soulseek server, which is not operated by the Nicotine+ Team.
Nicotine+ exists thanks to the core contributors, translators and other contributions. Nicotine+ is free and open source software, released under the terms of the GNU Public License v3 or later.